This buttercream recipe has been scaled to make more than enough for 24 medium cupcakes:
Salted Buttercream Frosting Recipe from addapinch.com
4 cups sugar
2 cup buttermilk
1 cup Crisco vegetable shortening
1 cup butter
2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks)
1 teaspoon coarse sea salt (plus a bit extra for sprinkling on top)
4 cups confectioner’s sugar
- Add all ingredients from the first stage of the frosting recipe in a 3-4 quart pot. Stir ingredients with a wooden spoon as cooking over medium-low heat.
- Cook to softball stage (235-245 degrees on a candy thermometer as well as using the cold water test).
- Remove from heat and pour into a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Using a whip attachment, whip the caramel until it has cooled enough to touch lightly.
- Add the butter and salt from the second stage of the frosting recipe to the mixing bowl and whip.
- Add confectioner’s sugar in ½ cup increments, stopping after each to scrape sides of mixing bowl. Turn mixer on high for about 10 seconds after each addition to merge air into the frosting.
- Adjust the amount of confectioner’s sugar to result in a frosting that will hold it’s shape.
- Frost cake and store on a cake plate covered with a dome or an airtight container.
- Best served within 1-3 days.
- 50th Birthday | Chocolate Chianti Jarcake Favors (pasticheevents.com)
- chocolate cupcake madness. (sallysbakingaddiction.com)
- SMP at Home: Brown Betty Caramel Layer Cake Recipe (stylemepretty.com)