This light-tasting casserole takes about 10 minutes to prepare, 35-50 minutes to bake and about 2 enjoyable minutes to scarf down. It had the right amount of flavor (although that’s relative) and enough healthy, natural ingredients to make me feel good about feeding it to my family. I made a loaf of Krusteaz All-Natural Honey Cornbread to go with it. This was a fantastic, hot meal to prepare in a short amount of time making it perfect those busy week nights. Hope you like it!
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Lightly grease a 9×13 pan
24 Large Tortilla Chips (halved)
1 jar of Tostitos Simply Natural Black Bean and Corn Mild Salsa (halved)
1/2 cup Kraft Authentic Shredded Mexican Cheese (halved)
1 bag of Alexia’s Sweet Potato Puffs (almost every grocer carries the brand in the frozen section) (halved)
1 Cup Skim Milk
1/2 tsp Chili Powder
1/2 tsp Cumin
1/2 tsp Oregano
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
Layer and repeat the first 4 ingredients starting with half of the tortilla chips, half of the salsa, half of the cheese and half of the sweet potato puffs. Add a second layer with the remaining tortilla chips, salsa, cheese and puffs.
Whisk your eggs, milk and spices until throughly combined. Pour over every inch of the pan, soaking up the ingredients.
Place, uncovered, in the center of the oven with a foil-lined cookie sheet on the rack underneath, just in case your egg mixture spills over (mine almost did towards the end).
Your casserole should be completely cooked after 35 minutes but I realize every oven is different, so after the first 35, stick a butter knife in the center to test it. If the egg is still runny, keep increasing the cook time by 5 minute increments. That’s about the hardest work you’ll have to do. ;)
- Mexican Casserole (muffinsandmocha.wordpress.com)
- Vegetarian Greek Lentil Casserole Recipe with Bell Peppers and Feta (kalynskitchen.com)
- Modern Casseroles (wholefoodsmarket.com)
- Huevos Rancheros (thehooteats.com)
- 7 Delicious Lunch Ideas For Vegetarians (purposegiven.wordpress.com)
- 2 In The Kitchen: Huevos Rancheros From Pedro’s Kitchen And Brew (newyork.cbslocal.com)
- Recipe: Spanish-Style Breakfast Casserole (samuelsidler.com)
- Huevos Rancheros Pizza (thegourmandmom.com)